Friday 23 December 2011

Problem restoring a PowerShell backup

I had a problem today attempting to restore a backup I had taken using PowerShell.  I received the following error in PowerShell when running thr Restore-SPSite command:

"Restore-SPSite : Your backup is from a different version of Microsoft SharePoint Foundation and cannot be restored to a server running the current version. The backup file should be restored to a server with version '4.1.10.0' or later."

I checked my SharePoint version numbers against the server where I had taken the backup and it all looked fine. I took another backup in case the first one had become corrupt (even though I had already restored it successfully several times before). I rebooted and restarted my VM, but all to no avail.

In a last ditch attempt, I decided to delete 2 empty content databases that were set up on my machine, and created a new one to replace them and tried again.

To my surprise, it worked. So, if you have the same problem, try removing content databases (if you can).

1 comment:

  1. Thx. Worked for me as well. Looking closer at the version number it doesn't even exist at this moment as SP1 or CU version.

    ReplyDelete